Thursday 5 April 2012

Ohara Exhibtion Flower and Space

Back in Tokyo right in time for the last day of the Ohara ikebana exhibition "Flower and Space" at Takashimaya department store! The exhibition was postponed because of the tragic earthquake last year, this spring it was put up and it is Headmaster Hiroki Ohara's first one-man exhibition. This was the second upscale ikebana exhibition on this trip so we've been really lucky. The Ohara exhibition wasn't as large as the Sogetsu one in Osaka, but it was breathtaking and beautiful. I'm posting a few of my favorites. Have a look and judge for your self.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the exhibition, too. I like the picture with the shells acting as points of color in the arrangement. Very original.

nordic lotus said...

It was an fascinating exhibition. One of the things that struck me was the extensive use of exotic and unusual plant materials. To me this creates an extravagant distance that I'm not entirely happy with. It makes a great show though, and the talent and creativeness is what I felt made this an inspirational exhibition.

Unknown said...

He has been traveling the past couple of years, holding demonstrations and participating in international exhibitions. A lot of the tropical materials were inspired from his travels, especially to Indonesia. The desert section, and the pieces that used skulls were inspired be his travels to the southwest in the United states. I, too, was a bit put back by the use of all of the unusual materials; but, you could see his creativity throughout the exhibition.

nordic lotus said...

That's interesting information and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails